Thursday, February 01, 2007

Removing Unrighteous Stakes

I started to write an update on my situation but just felt to change directions. I love my Savior with all my heart. I have been doing a lot of reading like the Biography of Parley P. Pratt, Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph, and Teachings of the Prophets: Spencer W. Kimball and I have just been impressed about how much we must improve. I would like to just share a few quotes that impressed me greatly.

Joseph Smith Jr. said, "To all those who are disposed to say to set up stakes for the almighty—will come short of the glory of god. To become a joint heir of the heirship of the son he must put away all his traditions" (Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph).


I do not know about you but I do want to become an heir of the heirship. I know that I have traditions that I hang on to and do not want to let go of.

He continues, "Men will set up stakes and say thus far will we go and no farther, did Abraham when called upon to offer his son, did the Saviour... What was the design of the Almighty in making man, it was to exalt him to be as God... heirs of God and joint heirs... with Jesus Christ equal with him possessing all power... The mystery power and glory of the priesthood is so great and glorious that the angels desired to understand it and cannot: why, because of the tradition of them and their fathers in setting up stakes and not coming up to the mark in their probationary state."

This helped to open my eyes to things that I must do in order to change my traditions to those worthy of exaltation.

Spencer W. Kimball said, "Having already obtained our bodies, which become the permanent tabernacle for our spirits through the eternities, now we are to train our bodies, our minds, and our spirits. Pre-eminent, then, is our using this life to perfect ourselves, to subjugate the flesh, subject the body to the spirit, to overcome all weaknesses, to govern self so that one may give leadership to others, and to perform all necessary ordinances" (T of P: Spencer W Kimball).

We must first learn to govern ourselves in righteousness before we will be able to govern others which is exaltation. How can our Father in Heaven expect to give unto us a never ending posterity if we can't even govern ourselves. I challenge all who read this to start today to perfect ourselves and to put off all unrighteous thoughts and actions. I know that we have the power within us and with the help of our Savior to conquer all trials given to us and if in the end we are closer to our Father in Heaven, then it was all worth it.

No comments: